About New Zealand Homestay
We’re a little different than more direct, peer-to-peer services in that we provide a full service approach to homestay. Our standards are based on those of the Australian Homestay Network who have been the industry leaders in properly managed homestays for more than a decade.
We know exactly who hosts and students are staying with and what their background is. Students and hosts have our support 24 hours a day in case there is a problem or emergency. We also handle billing and most collection activities for a hassle-free homestay. We provide training on cultural understanding and making international guests and our hosts comfortable. Our processes ensure we prepare hosts and students to have the best experience possible in New Zealand.
NZH also provides a comprehensive suite of services that extend to everyone affiliated with our company. Our agents, students, educators, and hosts all have private access to an online communication portal, ensuring that we can efficiently and effectively manage the complexities of a national homestay business while adhering to our Homestay Policy.
We have programs for primary school, high school, pathway, college and university students which can be both short and long term. Generally, we do not accept students under the age of 12 years unless travelling as part of a study tour (these will be reviewed on a case by case basis). All new students over 18 years old who are arriving for their first term of study are recommended to spend a minimum of 4 weeks in a properly managed NZH homestay prior to making longer term accommodation arrangements.
Agents and education providers who work with NZH receive the benefits of the decades of experience, processes and systems that the Global Homestay Alliance has accumulated over the years. We understand the importance of successful homestay placements for your international students. Many students find that a homestay is the best way to achieve both language and cultural immersion as they launch their studies in New Zealand.
Our world-class operating standards are employed in every market, with every student placement. Our proprietary processes and system designed especially for the approving of appropriate host families and the matching of students to the right hosts through our own (Homestay Management System) HMS technology. This system provides private access to track your students’ progress with their applications, their homestay host matches, and their arrivals, as well as a complete history of all communications relating to their homestay experience. The system automatically makes routine email contact with the student and the host to ensure that the homestay is going smoothly.
Our services comply with the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021.
Please contact your local NZH office to discuss partnering opportunities and a non-exclusive contract.
In return for the promotion of NZH to parents, students and partners, agents and education providers will receive:
- Student homestay application management
- Agent homestay relationship management
- NZH system access, support and training for institutions and agents
- NZH host management
- NZH homestay incident management
- NZH homestay payments management
- NZH homestay insurance as specified on the website for host and student
- Provision of reports as reasonably required by agents
- Ongoing support as appropriate and required
- Clearly documented policies for best practice homestay operations
Our service offerings are comprehensive and provide a compelling reason for agents and education providers to work with NZH. Our program includes:
- A full-service national homestay management organization for international students
- Sophisticated student/host matching system
- Safe, comfortable homestays near key schools, universities, colleges and other learning institutions
- Certified homestay hosts who complete thorough training and assessment in guest student care and cultural exchange
- Thorough screening processes for hosts
- Additional Homestay Carer Agreement signed by NZH, the education provider and host acknowledging the responsibilities of hosting Under 18s
- A local team of professional and dedicated staff to assist students throughout the entire homestay experience
- Experienced staff to manage your ongoing relationship with NZH
- Secure access to our system for tracking applications, homestay details, payment histories, and more
- Automated payment services
- Airport transportation services
- Online cultural host training and testing
- Online student orientation
- 24/7 support
At NZH, we hold our hosts to the highest standards. Hosts are expected to welcome a student warmly into their home and help them become familiar with the New Zealand lifestyle so they are successful during their time in our program. NZH host families must speak clear and correct English and are expected to provide students with:
- a clean, comfortable private bedroom with place to study
- nutritious meals according to the student’s chosen meal plan
- inclusion in host activities based on student interest
- internet access
- access to public transportation
Our approval process includes an interview and house inspection. All residents over the age of 18 must undergo safety checks including police vetting. The primary host (residential caregiver) will also need to provide details for a referee so we can conduct a reference check. Our approval process includes an interview and house inspection. They also need to sign our Homestay Carer Agreement when hosting under 18 students, acknowledging the extra support and care required to cater for younger students.
Additional information about our requirements can be found on the host overview page.
New Zealand Homestay was created to introduce the standards and industry best practices created by the Australian Homestay Network to New Zealand. We are a separate entity but share a common vision and goals under the banner of the Global Homestay Alliance.
The health and wellbeing of students (guests) and hosts participating in our homestay program is always a priority for NZH. The NZH COVID-19 Safety Policy outlines our procedures and expectations for homestay placements and provides information and resources on the COVID-19 situation in New Zealand.