Thanks for accepting a placement with New Zealand Homestay (NZH). In anticipation of your new guest’s arrival we have provided a quick checklist to ensure all key topics are covered during the student’s first few days with you.
- Confirm the student’s safe arrival on your NZH online profile. Click here for instructions.
- Swap contact details (phone and email addresses).
- Provide front door key, and show how to enter and lock up safely. Show how to use alarm if you have one, get the student to take a photo of outside the home and the nearest corner on their phone.
- Assist the student to set up a SIM card, public transport card, and bank account.
- Talk about any food allergies, likes/dislikes.
- Sit down together and go through your House Rules to gain mutual understanding (you can use the generic NZH House Rules Template if you like).
- Familiarise the student with your home and local area, including dos and don’ts, safety concerns etc.
- Show them where the local shops are.
- Show the student the bus/train route, including how to get to their education provider. Please travel with your student to the bus/train and run through this process with them.
- School/University timetable – ask your student about their timetable/class times and take a copy for your reference (not all students will have this on arrival).
- (Optional) Take a photo with your student – (this would look great on our social media pages – email@example.com and can assist if they become lost).
Main Contact: +64 9 884 8404
After Hours Emergencies: +64 9 884 8401
(Please only call the After Hours number for emergencies involving students in a current placement)